Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The kindness of strangers

Since arriving in Chile we've had to do a bit of paperwork to get everything all squared away. We are practically on first-name basis with the folks at the nortario where we have gone repeatedly to get notarized copies of passport pages and teaching certificates. It is all a bit of a blur when you don't speak the language so well.

Just this morning I had to return to the Registro Civil to give them some additional papers needed to complete my application for a Chilean ID card. I had applied originally last week and all seemed fine, but the application went to Santiago and came back with a request for additional documentation. Catherine got the call yesterday at the house from Sr. Fuentes at the Registro requesting that I come back today.

Sr. Fuentes is the same person who I dealt with for my original application. This morning he was very helpful in getting my augmented application in order (and, of course, taking my picture and fingerprints again). Although Sr. Fuentes spoke no English with me, he did take the time to speak Spanish slowly so that I could understand what was happening. He is everything that you hope a civil servant will be; helpful, considerate, and compassionate. He made my experience relatively painless. He, along with so many other people here, have been kind and tolerant and helpful. It is humbling to be dependent on the kindness of strangers, yet it reaffirms my belief in the basic goodness of people.

I also have a renewed and enhanced appreciation and respect for the immigrants who come to the United States with limited English language skills and successfully navigate our own bureaucratic maze, find jobs and housing, survive, and even prosper. I hope the people of our country are as kind and helpful as the Chileans have been to us.